Early mornings will become the norm in the weeks to come. There’s a big day of walking ahead so I stretch and do some activation drills after breakfast.
Leaving Phakding, our group starts the trek to Namche Bazaar. The alpine scenery is stunning and we cross over multiple suspension bridges.
The morning starts of gently and the landscape following the river is lined with blue pine. We walk through rhododendron lined trails, which are on the tail end of the season. While they are nowhere near the full glory of previous weeks, there are still some bushes with flowers on them which lend bright splashes of pink and red to the green backdrop.
We officially enter into Sagarmartha National Park and once permits and paperwork are sorted out, we begin the steep ascent to Namche Bazaar.
The trail to Namche is uphill and tough going for several hours so by the time we actually reach this village, we’re exhausted but relieved to reach our destination. What was even better was that there was a small child high-fiving people arriving into town.
Namche is a hub where hikers can pick up last minute gear and equipment. It also has luxuries such as bakeries with free wifi and charging stations. Prem says that after we leave Namche, it’s not advise to eat meat as it needs to be carried up the mountain and one can’t attest to the quality. Thusly, I enjoy a delicious chicken dhal baat for my dinner.
Start: Phakding (2610m amsl)
Finish: Namche Bazaar (3440m amsl)
Everest Basecamp – day by day
- DAY 0 – Kathmandu
- DAY 1 – Kathmandu
- DAY 2 – Lukla/Phakding
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 3 – Namche Bazaar
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 4 – Namche Bazaar
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 5 – Phortse
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 6 – Dingboche
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 7 – Dingboche
- EVEREST BASECAMP: Day 8 – Lobuche
- EVEREST BASECAMP Day 9 – Everest Basecamp / Gorek Shep
- EVEREST BASECAMP Day 10 – Orsho
- EVEREST BASECAMP Day 11 – Tengboche
- EVEREST BASECAMP Day 12 – Monjo
- EVEREST BASECAMP Day 13 – Lukla
- Full photo gallery